about directions for immigrants
Directions for Immigrants is a no cost career service centre that helps internationally educated professionals secure professional employment and gain accreditation. We work with professionals in any occupation in any industry. Our services are at no cost as we are funded by the Government of Alberta and the Government of Canada.
Since 2004, Directions for Immigrants has been operating as a career service centre focused on helping clients find the right direction.
Our approach is simple:
- we provide clear, accurate, up-to-date information
- we help clients create an action plan
- we offer career coaching, workshops and study groups
We measure success as the percentage of clients who are employed in their profession and/or are pursuing accreditation in Canada.
Our clients' rate of success is 90%
Since October 2008:
- 536,000 website visits from 363,000 visitors from 191 countries (since October 2008)
Since May 2004:
- 13,070 service needs determinations (approximately 1,440 new clients every year)
- 1,535 workshops
- 4,018 service plans
- 91% success – clients employed full time or part time, in training or pursing accreditation at 180 day follow-up
Study Groups since 2007
- 280 study groups
- 3,072 study group participants (job success and accreditation)
- 1,669 clients have passed a licensing exam (2,081 wrote)
- 80% success rate for clients successfully passing licensing exams
- 204 internationally educated nurses have passed the Canadian Registered Nurse Examination (CRNE) or National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN), one of the last steps required before becoming a registered nurse
- 130 international medical graduates (IMGs) have obtained residency, 40 in practice-ready assessment, and 56 in the Alberta clinical and surgical assistant program
- 86 internationally educated pharmacists are fully licensed pharmacists in Alberta
- 454 internationally educated engineers/geoscientists have passed the National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE)
Who is it for?
For internationally educated professionals with a degree, diploma or trade certificate in any career plus a minimum of two years of work experience in your profession or trade outside Canada.
Please note the work experience does not apply to health care professionals.
Directions for Immigrants services is operated by Bow Valley College, and funded by the Government of Alberta and the Government of Canada. Bow Valley College is the largest English as a Second Language provider in Calgary with more than 20 years of experience in teaching English-language skills and almost 40 years of experience in educating adults in Southern Alberta.
Since 2004, Directions for Immigrants has been providing no cost career services to immigrant professionals who are seeking assistance with their careers. Along with a successful history of helping newcomers, Directions for Immigrants has established an extensive network of associations, immigrant serving agencies, employers, licensing bodies’ education and immigrant bridging programs all of whom play an integral role in helping immigrant professionals re-establish their careers. To date, Directions for Immigrants continues to enjoy serving a growing population of people who are critical to Alberta’s workforce success.
Professionals from all over the world, come to Directions for Immigrants to learn about the accreditation process for their profession and how to find work in Alberta.
In 2008, Directions for Immigrants launched its newest service to help internationally educated health professionals. Clients now have access to a growing number of study groups, Career Coaches and workshops all developed to help establish a career in the healthcare industry.