Medical Lab Assistant



Who is the certification body responsible for Medical Laboratory Assistants in Alberta?

In Alberta, certification is not required but may be an asset when seeking employment.
The Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) offers certification. Certification requires successful completion of an exam. 

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Medical Laboratory Assistants?

Applicants must

be a graduate of a Canadian medical laboratory assistant program and submit the required documents or, for applicants working as Medical Laboratory Assistants without Canadian training, the required documents by the CSMLS must be signed by the employer. Applicants are encouraged to review the Examination Handbook found on the CSMLS website.

apply to The Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science and achieve the required passing score on the Medical Laboratory Certification Exam.

What are the educational requirements for Medical Laboratory Assistants in Alberta?

Note: Certification bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

In Alberta, the following post-secondary institutions offer programs directly related programs:

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit the Alberta Learning Information Service at and Immigrate to Alberta website.