Medical Lab Assistant
OCCUPATION INFORMATION YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Who is the certification body responsible for Medical Laboratory Assistants in Alberta?
- What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Medical Laboratory Assistants?
- What are the educational requirements for Medical Laboratory Assistants in Alberta?
Be a graduate of a Canadian medical laboratory assistant program and submit the required documents or, for applicants working as Medical Laboratory Assistants’ without Canadian training, the required documents by the CSMLS must be signed by the employer. Applicants are encouraged to review the Examination Handbook found on the CSMLS website.
Apply to The Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science and, write and successfully achieve the required passing score on the Medical Laboratory Certification Exam.
(Note: Certification bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards)
In Alberta, the following post-secondary institutions offer programs directly related programs:
- ABES (Alberta Business and Educational Services) in Calgary.
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) in Edmonton.
- Red Deer College
- Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) in Calgary.
Additional Occupational Information
For more information on occupational duties and wages, visit the Alberta Learning Information Service at www.alis.gov.ab.ca and search for Medical Laboratory Assistant under occupational information.