Certified General Accountant (CGA)
OCCUPATION INFORMATION YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Who is the licensing body responsible for accrediting Certified General Accountants in Alberta?
- What are the requirements for Internationally Educated Accountants?
- What training programs are available for Internationally Educated Accountants?
- What resources are available for Accountants in Alberta?
To call yourself a Certified General Accountant, you must certified by the Certified General Accountants' Association of Alberta.
1. Have a recognized university (bachelor’s) degree.
2. Complete a CGA Transcript Evaluation; this may also require you to submit transcripts
to International Qualifications Assessment Service to have them assessed.
3. An English translation must accompany documents which are not in English.
4. Complete 21 accounting and business courses.
5. Complete at least two years of Canadian work experience at the professional level.
Additional Occupational Information
Calgary Immigrant Women’s Association
Bridging the Gap for Foreign Trained Accountants
This program is designed to assist professional immigrant women with a background in accounting and finance transition into entry level positions.
EDinfo website: www.alis.alberta.ca/edinfo
Certified General Accountants Association of Alberta website: www.cga-alberta.org